Along with two others, the South Thanet candidate has been charged by the Crown Prosecution Service for alleged overspending during the 2015 general election campaignby Alex Dean / June 2, 2017 / Leave a comment
Conservative candidate Craig Mackinlay has been charged by the Crown Prosecution Service for alleged overspending during the last general election campaign.
He will appear in court on 4th June, just days before Britain heads to the polls on 8th June. Mackinlay has been fighting to keep his South Thanet seat.
In a statement this morning, the CPS said: “We have concluded there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to authorise charges against three people.”
Marion Little and Nathan Gray, both Tory staffers, have also been charged under the Representation of the People Act.
The news follows months of investigations into Tory expenses: the party has been accused of filing costs for battle bus visits to constituencies under national expenses, and so avoiding recording the costs locally. This, it has been alleged, enabled the party to exceed local election spending limits.
The Conservatives have denied all wrongdoing, and last month, 20 Tory candidates were told they would not be charged. This morning, a Tory spokesperson said: “We continue to believe that this remaining allegation is unfounded.”