1. Best moustache — Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”
2. Best performance by a wife of Tim Burton — Helena Bonham-Carter in “Sweeney Todd”
3. Most revealing demographic — 19/20 actors nominated for actor/actress in leading or supporting role are white.
4. 2nd most revealing demographic — 15/20 actors, etc, etc. are under 50.
5. Most revealing aspect of British media coverage of the Oscars — the amount of attention paid to actresses’ dresses
6. 2nd most revealing aspect British media coverage — emphasis on the fact that the 4 Oscar-winning actors are all European (because the big…
Register today to continue reading
You’ve hit your limit of three articles in the last 30 days. To get seven more, simply enter your email address below.
You’ll also receive our free e-book Prospect’s Top Thinkers 2020 and our newsletter with the best new writing on politics, economics, literature and the arts.
Prospect may process your personal information for our legitimate business purposes, to provide you with newsletters, subscription offers and other relevant information.
Click here to learn more about these purposes and how we use your data. You will be able to opt-out of further contact on the next page and in all our communications.
Already a subscriber? Log in here