All is quiet on Mohamed Mahmoud Street, the epicentre of the last week’s clashes between Egyptian police and protestors calling for the end of military rule. Beginning early Thursday morning, military personnel secured the area as protestors retreated to Tahrir Square.
Protestors looked on while military cranes erected a barricade on the corner of Mohamed Mahmoud and cordoned off the Ministry of Interior with barbed wire. After nearly five days of anti-military protests, which left almost 40 dead, Egypt’s ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) is still very much in charge.
Although the SCAF sacked the civilian cabinet and expressed their regret for the week’s violence, they have refused to meet any of the protestors’ major demands.
At a press conference on Thursday, General Mamdouh Shaheen rebuked them. “We will not relinquish power because a slogan-chanting crowd said so,” Shaheen said.
The military placed the blame for the recent violence at the feet of the civilian cabinet and tasked Mubarak-era PM Kamal Ganzouri with forming a new government. This did little to appease the protestors remaining in Tahrir.